Apple Pie a la Donatella
by Donatella Arpaia
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cut into cubes and refrigerated)
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 6 granny smith apples (peeled, cored, & sliced)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
Prep 60 | Cook60 | Serves: 4
- 1) Pie Crust
- 2) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Cut butter into flour with a pastry cutter or a food processer and process until small beads form.
- 3) Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms a ball. Do not over process.
- 4) Form into 2 discs, wrap, and refrigerator for 30 minutes
- 5) Filling
- 6) In a medium bowl, toss sliced apples with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- 7) Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then toss with apples. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- 8) Roll out a pie disc into a 12-inch round about 1/8-inch thick and press into oven-safe pie plate. Fill the shell with the apples.
- 9) Roll out second pie dough forming a disc and place over filling. Seal edges together and brush top of pie with egg wash.
- 10) Sprinkle top with 2 teaspoons granulated sugar and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 11) Bake in pizza oven until pastry is lightly browned and filling is cooked, approximately 40 minutes to 1 hour.